VMWare server does not list ubuntu 7.0 as supported but I tried it and so far so good.
VMWare Server installation
- followed basic installations
- installed build-essential just in case since the install specified that it required gcc, etc
- installation went thru fine
VM management interface installation
- as per installation requires libdb; found in some forum and installed libdb3
- sudo apt-get install libdb3
- vmmui config.pl complained about httpd.vmware failing
- did a search and found in ubuntu forums (6.10) about using bash instead of sh and this worked
- rm -f /bin/sh; ln /bin/bash /bin/sh
- after fixing the shell it worked
AFter fixing the shell ran vmware-config.pl just in case since I was not sure what worked and not, after this tried /etc/init.d/http.vmware, worked fine.
Using VMWare server
- stupid me couldnt figure out how to start the console took some time for me to find out from the doc that I have to run “$vmware &” to start the console.
- when this was done it poped-up a nice window to choose the host
- localhost brought up the page where there are options to create etc
(next is to try using it)